What is Shea Butter?
What is Shea Butter?
- Shea trees are native to West Africa, and mostly still comes from there. Shea Butter is fat which is extracted from the nut of a shea tree. The butter comes in a solid form but can liquify at warm temperatures. The colour can come be off-white/ivory, depending on the grade.
Shea butter has been typically used as a cosmetic ingredient, due to it's high concentration of vitamins and fatty acids. It is simple to use, and comes with little to no scent. Many people love shea butter due to it's soothing and conditioning qualities.
Although shea butter comes from a tree nut, many users with nut allergies do not suffer from triggers due to it's low protein. It has been proven to be usable for any skin type, but we recommend always patch testing before you use any product.
Some Things to Know:
- Highly popular for its moisturizing effects
- Contains anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antioxidant, and anti-fungal properties
- It helps boost collagen production (did you know your body gets rid of 30,000 to 40,000 old skin cells a day?)
- Helps promote cell regeneration
- Offers minimal sun protection SPF 3-4
- Contains vitamins A, E, and F
- Cetyl esters is the waxy part of the shea nut butter that conditions skins and locks in moisture
- Triglycerides is the fatty part of the shea nut that nourishes and conditions your skin
- Linoleic, palmitic, stearic, and oleic fatty acids from the shea butter balance oils in your skin
Tips & Tricks:
- Our Meegan Body Butter was not just formulated as your everyday skin moisturizer, we intended it to be safe to use for your scalp, your hair, even cracked heels! Need some extra hydration for your dry irritated scalp? Simply apply desired amount of our product to your scalp, and let sit up to 3 hours, follow by shampoo and conditioner. Treatment for dry and cracked heels, lather onto clean damp skin, follow with wearing socks to prevent slippage and lock in moisture. This can be done as an overnight treatment.
- Many eczema and psoriasis sufferers might know that Shea butter is great due to its highly moisturizing effects, anti-inflammatory components that may reduce redness and swelling. Not only does our product contain organic and fair trade shea butter, we have added calendula infused oils which brings addition healing and soothing properties. Our formula was intended to help sooth the irritation and discomfort that come with eczema, as well as dry skin.